This story originally broke via Modern Healthcare.
Thousands of physical, occupational and speech therapists have been laid off as skilled-nursing facilities transition to a new payment model that kicked in Tuesday.
Dozens of these therapists have emailed Modern Healthcare saying they have been laid off or had their wages cut as a result of the new patient-driven payment model, which is akin to bundled payments and based on patient assessments and acuity rather than the volume of therapy services. Industry observers expect more fallout as certain providers gamed the system to maximize therapy hours, which are now likely going to be a fraction of what they were under the resource-utilization group model.
Latest posts by Editor (see all)
- Bachelorette Show Alumnus Diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome - December 10, 2019
- Physical Therapists and Fairytales featured on Good Morning America - December 1, 2019
- A Patient’s Perspective on the 8% Medicare Cuts - November 15, 2019
- Data, data, data - November 12, 2019
- Physical Therapy in Entertainment Media - October 29, 2019