1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Folarin
Admin
Topic starter
(@muniratayokanmi)
Estimable Member

Depression is not purely a psychological condition, many systemic factors ranging from chemical imbalances to chronic pain can trigger depression. Women suffering from Postpartum depression have been found to show significant improvement when they engage in physical therapy (Exercise program). Many people with depression can be helped with Physiotherapy. Physiotherapy Treatment targets the physical symptoms of depression, improves energy levels, reduces pain, and improves sleeping patterns. Physiotherapy treatment will also have an impact on your mood and allows you to enjoy your day-to-day activities.

Endorphins released by the brain during exercise have been shown to reduce pain and improve mood. It can also help people whose depression is linked to issues with poor self-esteem or Body image.

Psychological treatments for depression have been recommended by the UK National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. It is becoming more commonplace for helping to reduce symptoms in depressed adults. Physical Therapy has been proposed as a complementary treatment that may help to improve residual symptoms of depression and prevent relapse. I think it is safe to say that Physiotherapy should be recommended for Depression.

Postpartum Depression almost got the better part of me when I had my baby, it was overwhelming for me and very challenging as a first-time Mum, I was anxious and my anxiety disorder sparked up but luckily for me, I was already involved in some Physical activity before her birth and this helped a lot, I eventually became more relaxed, bonded with my child and got over Postpartum Depression. 

However, it is also said that prescriptions should be tailored to the Patients' current level to avoid overwhelming the Patient. Here are some coping mechanisms that may also help you through depression.

• Lower your expectations
  • Ask others to assist or help you
  • Maintain emotionally supportive relationships
  • Distance yourself from the source of stress
  • Directly attempt to change the source of stress

On the whole, if you're going through a difficult time or if everything seems tough and there is no pathway, remember this quote from Lulu Final Fantasy X "No matter how dark the night, morning always comes, and our journey begins anew'

Share:

Copyright © 2017 PhysicalTherapist.com. All Rights Reserved.