3 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
Folarin
Admin
Topic starter
(@muniratayokanmi)
Estimable Member

Physical Therapy is a process with lasting benefits, not a quick fix. When it comes to physical therapy, there are many misguided expectations about outcome quality and length of treatment. Many patients want to know how long they should continue with their physical therapy treatments, especially if they are not seeing the results they expect. The simple answer to this question is until you're told so by your Physical Therapist.

Your main concern should not be about when you can stop your Physical Therapy Session, it should be about how effective your session is and if you're getting the desired results. How many visits you may need depends on your condition, your goals, and the way you follow through. In rare cases, this means you may need to continue physical therapy for months or even years to see the full benefits, as long as you are working with the right Physical Therapist. 

You need to set realistic goals and expectations with your Physical Therapist and if you're not seeing changes after a few weeks of active participation in your Physical Therapy Plan, don't give up, do not Quit. it is important to continue with your treatments and discuss with your Physical Therapist how to modify the treatment plan to make it work for you. There are several types of PT treatment approaches, and it is important to find the one that meets your needs. You may also consider changing your Physical Therapist if you are not happy with the service of your current provider.

If you stop Physical Therapy treatment too early, you may not reach your full healing Potential. Physical therapy is a process and if you stop treatment before you're ready, you may find that your pain quickly returns.

I know how frustrating it can be to attend regular appointments, perform all instructed exercises and still not make progress towards your goals but it is important to always talk to your Physical Therapist before taking any decision that will cause more harm to your health.

2 Replies
Kay
 Kay
(@kay)
Eminent Member

It's emotionally draining as well when you put a whole lot of work and commitment but no result.

Folarin
Admin
Topic starter
(@muniratayokanmi)
Estimable Member

Yes, I understand but no matter how bad one may feel about the results of your session, always discuss it with your Physical therapist.

Share:

Copyright © 2017 PhysicalTherapist.com. All Rights Reserved.