Forum

Costa and requireme...

Notifications
Clear all

Costa and requirements for a former PTA to become a PTA again, or transition into becoming a PT

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
TheBrokenPotato
Topic starter
(@thebrokenpotato)

Howdy. To preface, I have no clue what I'm talking about. I came here to ask because I get the feeling I'd get more useful answers here than I would on Reddit. I know nothing about the field and I'm not really here to learn about it. I'm just an autistic high-school dropout trying to help his dad get his old job back. I'm also typing this on my phone at a rest area in the middle of nowhere at midnight. I apologize if anything I say sounds stupid or if this is the wrong place to ask about this.

To make a long story short, my dad was a PTA from the early 90's (a few years before i was born, I'm not sure exactly) up until Covid hit.

He got sick of the job after 20-something years and Covid was the last straw. Got a CDL and drove a truck for a few years. Unfortunately, his driving skills have remained exactly as atrocious as I remember from when I was a kid.

Hit a few too many things trying to back. Even nearly hit me on my motorcycle because he hadn't quite figured out what off-tracking was after a full year of driving a semi. And now nobody wants to hire him. Frankly, after seeing how he drives I'm surprised he's even managed to survive, let alone last for nearly 3 years on the job.

He's a bit on the broke side now and if he can't find another truck driving job (More likely than not. Even if somebody sees what he's done and still wants to hire him, their insurance probably won't let them take him onboard. Liability and all that.) then moving back to physical therapy is most likely what he's gonna do. Probably for the best, he seemed much better at it and happier too.

So, onto what I'm actually here for. I know that he's let his license (certifications?) laspe for 3 years now. From what I understand, he'll need to undergo 120 hours of retraining (40 for each year it's been let go) to get that back in order to be employed as a PTA again. 

Problem is, if this is what he does then I'll be the one paying for him to attend whatever training or certification couses he needs to attend. I make $80k doing what I do and I don't have many fixed expenses. I doubt I'll have too much trouble supporting him, but I feel it would be unwise to jump right in without knowing how much it's going to take from me. I do need to build a living for myself first and foremost, no matter how much I want to help my dad.

I can't find any resources online that can tell me exactly what's needed and what it would cost (I think it could be done mostly online for a flat rate somewhere in the range of a couple thousand?). So if somebody here could at least point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I've been looking at job openings on Indeed just to try to get an idea if there's even any work in the field. One thing that stuck out to me is just the sheer amount places are offering for a physical therapist. $60/hr at the very least and upwards of $100/hr if he were willing to move to a big city.

I know that PTAs don't generally transition to becoming PTs. But just out of curiosity, since I would be paying for it and supporting him in the meantime and all that, what would be needed and how long would that take? (He's 58 by the way. A decade of higher education probably isn't in his deck of cards cards and it definitely isn't in my wallet.) Would his decades of experience as a PTA be relevant? 

My dad's done a lot for me, and I feel like I owe him quite a bit for putting up with me and my bullshit for 24 years. Even if he's been an asshole at times. If I can help him get his old career or something similar back, then I feel like I'll have repaid him a big chunk of that.

Thanks.

Share:

Copyright © 2017 PhysicalTherapist.com. All Rights Reserved.