• February 18, 2010 at 1:33 am #3326
    Participant

Has any one ever heard of this. I had a patient that was treated before for chronic muscle dystrophy and pain around the left and right scapular region. His former PT used a tens Unit on the area, but the patient over used it, 4 hours a day for two days on a high setting. The patient now has an area the size of a hand print between the right scapula and spine where the entire patch of muscle is in extreme pain, as a direct result of the Tens unit usage. The patient says it feels very painful to touch but at the same time partially numb, as if full feeling isnt completely there.
    Any thoughts?

February 19, 2010 at 2:38 am #10630
    Participant

Patients love to associate “things” with progression of their disorder. I would be suspect that this is a manifestation of his disease which includes, muscle pain. TENS unit injuries have been reported for mild burns and skin irritation, but not much more than this. Unless his disease made him more suseptible to injury from TENS.

August 2, 2010 at 6:44 am #10631
    Participant

rochej11, I have just read this all of the stuff but as I have heard that a tens Unit operates in two different ways. So as I think that it is more difficult to figure it out its injury. As I also have heard that in a conventional TENS Unit, continuous mild stimulation of coarse nerve fibers produces a multitude of impulses, which travel to the brain effectively overloading it and preventing pain signals from getting through.

May 15, 2012 at 5:25 am #10633
    Participant

The tens unit caused such strong muscle spasms around my shoulder blade that it caused herniated disks in my spinal cord. Haven’t slept in months due to pain. Now I may have to get surgery on my spinal cord! I don’t know if it’s because the dr used all four pads around the same area or if he kept increasing the strength of electrodes, causing my muscles to constrict to the point I couldn’t move my arm. Can anyone verify if the tens unit was misused in my case?

February 19, 2013 at 5:09 am #10632
    Participant

I am trying to find information regarding muscle tears caused by a TENS machine shorting out by stopping during treatment and turning back on causing the patient to be shocked violently. The PT that was treating me claimed it was a power outage and nothing more than that. After receiving 5-6 follow-up PT treatments to reverse the injury I was forced to refer to other medical professionals to learn that I had muscle tissue in my shoulders that had been separated from the bone. The date of the injury was 11-17-2011. Surgery was performed October 23, 2012 by an orthopedic surgeon to reattch bicep and rotator muscles in my right shoulder. I am currently receiving Physical Therapy from a different PT which is more thorough with treatment. The left shoulder still has pain and was the shoulder being treated when I was injured by the electrical current. I contacted a TENS service company and learned that the PT involved had decline regular maintenance for the past several years. The insurance company the PT referred me to is bogus and he denies any injury. Besides permanent damage to my shoulders the amount of money and time spent has been overwhelming. I feel there should be some type of effort to protect people from this type of injury.

February 22, 2013 at 9:57 pm #10634
    Participant

@bbb wrote:

The tens unit caused such strong muscle spasms around my shoulder blade that it caused herniated disks in my spinal cord. Haven’t slept in months due to pain. Now I may have to get surgery on my spinal cord! I don’t know if it’s because the dr used all four pads around the same area or if he kept increasing the strength of electrodes, causing my muscles to constrict to the point I couldn’t move my arm. Can anyone verify if the tens unit was misused in my case?

A tens unit can cause muscle spasms but I think it would be nearly impossible to cause a herniated disks.

July 2, 2016 at 11:37 am #34116
    Participant

Can anyone tell me how Ten’s Machines work? I really want to know if a ten’s machine can cause permanent damage to nerve receptors. Don’t ten’s units work by trying to permanently numb nerve receptors? I would appreciate your time, and opinion if you are knowledgeable on the workings of a ten’s machine. Thanks

September 4, 2016 at 12:00 am #34341
    Participant

I’ve encountered this once in my 6 years of practice. I had this one patient that was so sensitive to TENS that a minute of TENS at very low intensity left a patch of angry red (but blanching) erythema the exact size and shape of the TENS pads on her skin. The erythema was visible an hour later, albeit at a friendlier shade of pink. She had no such issues with hydrocollator packs, short wave, ultrasound or any other modality I used on her.

Don’t know if it’s a related thing but I guess a very small percentage of patients might respond very differently to treatments as simple as TENS?

February 1, 2017 at 3:25 pm #34743
    Participant

I have used TENS therapy in various forms throughout my life. It’s always felt like stinging nettles. So painful I’d end up screaming- even on the lowest setting. It’s been so bad that when I last saw my chiropractor he had to put notations in file that it’s not to be usa d on me no matter how low the settings. It leaves little read burn marks on my body for days. It drives me nuts that I don’t know the reasoning behind it. Maybe it’s the same reason I have to wear a windup watch instead of battery operated. Can anyone get back to me on this??

The forum ‘Neurology’ is closed to new topics and replies.