• November 21, 2010 at 2:54 am #3543
    Participant

I have a problem with some patients that is hard for me to solve. Patient during balance activities present posterior lean and loose balance backwards. I have try few strategies to make them shift their center of gravity forward, like reaching forward, standing on a tip toes or manually tried to move the hips forward, it all seams to make it even worse. It looks to me like preconception in those patients is poor and they don’t even feel posterior lean and are not able to correct it once it starts. Any good ideas there to make patient shift center of gravity forward??????? [ ❓ 😛 😕

February 22, 2013 at 10:01 pm #11050
    Participant

@uei13 wrote:

I have a problem with some patients that is hard for me to solve. Patient during balance activities present posterior lean and loose balance backwards. I have try few strategies to make them shift their center of gravity forward, like reaching forward, standing on a tip toes or manually tried to move the hips forward, it all seams to make it even worse. It looks to me like preconception in those patients is poor and they don’t even feel posterior lean and are not able to correct it once it starts. Any good ideas there to make patient shift center of gravity forward??????? [ ❓ 😛 😕

If I feel a patient is at any risk if falling backwards I have them do the exercise next to a parallel bar so they are more likely to grab to the side. If a patient were to lose balance backwards that could be very dangerous.

November 16, 2016 at 8:17 am #34526
    Participant

Check the sensation in their feet using monofilament testing, also check plantar flexor strength (single leg heel raise, knee straight not rocking forward or unweighting through arms). Could be decrease in automatic posture response, which is common in elderly and those with neuropathy/plantar flexor weakness.

The forum ‘Geriatrics’ is closed to new topics and replies.