• November 22, 2016 at 3:58 pm #34538
    Participant

I am a student PT graduating in May and currently doing my clinical rotation at a pediatric clinic. I plan on going into pediatrics upon graduation and have noticed that some of the therapist really get their patients engaged in their therapy while others therapist may sit and talk to other therapist in the area while treating the patient and not involving the patient at all. As time has gone on i have noticed that the patients that are more engaged in their treatment sessions progress faster, this is more true for the more involved patients. Would anyone here have any research or information that explains the cause to this? I would like to try putting together enough information to do a short presentation on my last week at the clinic.

Currently I have not found any actual research on the topic but have found a few things that seem to “just make sense”.

1. A more engaged patient has more overall neural activity and will be more alert throughout the treatment session.

2. The one NDT course I attended stated that one of its core characteristics was engaging the patient throughout therapy.

3. The motor planning would tend to be greater when being engaged throughout therapy.

Any other reasons or examples would be greatly appreciated.

PS: by engaged i mean anything from communicating with to participating in active play with the patient during treatment sessions instead of ignoring the patient or being less involved with the patient during your session.

The forum ‘Pediatrics’ is closed to new topics and replies.